International Museums and Collections Award
Students from the University of Melbourne and the University of Birmingham are invited to participate in a unique international exchange program where a successful candidate from each university will work for one month on museum and collection projects, hosted by the partner university.
Applications are currently closed
Australian / domestic student
Applicable study areas
All study areas
Number of scholarships awarded
Eligibility & selection criteria
To be eligible for this scholarship, you must:
work on a selection of collection management projects each with set objectives to be completed during the month long placement at the host institution. As part of the Exchange, the recipient will also have the opportunity to be exposed to other aspects of collections work through activities such as attendance at meetings and seminars and working with other museum and collections staff across the university, including curators, collection managers, archivists and conservators. This broadening experience will enhance the Award recipient's understanding of the different issues currently facing university collections and museums and collections more broadly.
- Outline the nature of your current studies and a brief synopsis of any areas of research interest. Indicate the main reasons for wanting to undertake an exchange to the University of Birmingham
- Express how this will be advantageous to you
- Be aware that the timing of your visit will be determined by the host university's academic year, which is different from that of your own university. For the Melbourne student the placement in Birmingham will commence around (TBC).
- Provide a statement of support from an academic supervisor. This should include discussion of your personal qualities and academic standing; and your capacity to act in an ambassadorial role on behalf of the University
A panel of staff from your own university will consider all applications. If short-listed, you will be required to attend an interview.
For more information please visit the Cultural Collections Projects Program International Museums and Collections Award web page.
Please note that:
- The exchange is to the University of Birmingham, in the United Kingdom
- This Award is only open to students currently enrolled at the University of Melbourne
- A maximum of AU $5500 will be granted from the University Library and The University of Melbourne's U21 Office (Melbourne Global Mobility) to contribute to travel costs (eg. airfares) and full board accommodation on/near the Birmingham campus. All other living expenses are the responsibility of the student
- Accommodation will be sourced and provisionally booked with details confirmed once selection of the Award recipient has been made. Further details about accommodation options are available on request
- The Program is open to all enrolled undergraduate students approaching their final year of study and all enrolled postgraduate students
What are the benefits?
$5,500. The amount available for this award is approximate. It will be confirmed at the time of awarding and determined by the committee according to the terms of the award.
Get more on scholarships and other information to help you succeed at the University of Melbourne.
For complete listings of faculty-specific scholarships, please see individual faculty websites.
The information listed here is subject to change without notice. Where we have listed information about jointly run scholarships programs, please also see our partners' websites. Information describing the number and value of scholarships awarded is indicative.