The Michael Andrew Access Scholarship
This scholarship is offered to an enrolling undergraduate domestic student who intends to undertake the Bachelor of Commerce, completed their secondary schooling in a regional or remote area of Australia and is experiencing disadvantaged circumstances.
No application is required. You will be automatically considered for this award.
Australian / domestic student
up to $30,000
Applicable study areas
Commerce, economics and management
Number of scholarships awarded
Eligibility & selection criteria
To be eligible for this scholarship, you must:
- be an Australian citizen or permanent resident
- have completed Year 12 or International Baccalaureate in Australia
- not have been awarded results for subjects undertaken as part of a degree course at a tertiary institution in Australia
- have applied for a University of Melbourne Bachelor of Commerce undergraduate degree via VTAC Special Entry Access Scheme for commencement in the year following completion of Year 12 or International Baccalaureate
- meet the entry requirement for the University of Melbourne Bachelor of Commerce course nominated in their VTAC application
- meet the Access Melbourne entry requirement for category ‘Resident of a regional or remote area’
Confirmation of Regional and remote location uses the Australian Statistical Geography Standard (ASGS) which provides a framework of statistical areas used by the Australian Bureau of Statistics.
The award will be offered to the student(s):
Who meet the eligibility criteria, and who have the highest overall level of disadvantage score based on the information provided in their VTAC and SEAS application. However, within this pool of potential candidates, preference is given to students who completed their secondary schooling in a regional or remote area of Australia (based on highest ASGS rating).
Regional/Remote areas of Australia: Selection based on highest ASGS rating for regional or remote locations (Australian Statistical Geography Standard provides a framework of statistical areas used by the Australian Bureau of Statistics)
Students who have applied for admission to the University via VTAC SEAS will be automatically considered for this scholarship.
What are the benefits?
This scholarship provides $10,000 annually for the normal duration of studies in Bachelor of Commerce (three years).
Recipients of the scholarship will automatically be admitted into the Abernethy Scholars Program. This program provides unique opportunities such as guaranteed access to the Faculty’s Career Mentoring Program, invitations to a variety of leadership events hosted by the Faculty and an academic mentoring opportunity with Professor Margaret Abernethy, Sir Douglas Copland Chair of Commerce and former Dean of the Faculty of Business and Economics.
Get more on scholarships and other information to help you succeed at the University of Melbourne.
For complete listings of faculty-specific scholarships, please see individual faculty websites.
The information listed here is subject to change without notice. Where we have listed information about jointly run scholarships programs, please also see our partners' websites. Information describing the number and value of scholarships awarded is indicative.