Gwenda Ford English Literature Scholarship
This scholarship supports undergraduate or graduate students who are in financial need and are majoring in English Literature at the University of Melbourne.
2 Jan 2023
8 Mar 2023
Australian / domestic student
Applicable study areas
Language, literature and cultural studies
Number of scholarships awarded
At least 1
"The weight off my shoulders this scholarship gives is immense, particularly as I come closer to the end of my degree. By worrying less about finances on a daily basis, the Gwenda Ford English Literature Scholarship will truly help by giving me the time, stability and confidence I need to strive towards making work I'm proud of."
- Oliver Walsh
Eligibility & selection criteria
To be eligible for this scholarship, you must:
- be a third-year undergraduate student completing a major in English Literature at the University of Melbourne; or,
- be a graduate coursework/research student undertaking a research project in English Literature at the University of Melbourne; and,
- demonstrate financial disadvantage.
Preference is given to English literature students in the Faculty of Arts, University of Melbourne, and due consideration is given to financial need. The recipient will be determined after considering the applicants' scholarship statement, proposed program of study, and access to other financial resources.
Applicants must complete the online application form including:
- a 300-500 word statement outlining how the scholarship would impact your life and assist with your academic work including how important English literature is to your studies;
- evidence of a complete and submitted University of Melbourne Student Financial Assessment form;
- at least one academic reference;
- a current statement of results; and,
- any other information to support the application that may assist the committee in making its decision.
When will I know the outcome?
Applicants will be advised of the outcome via email.
About the donor
Professor Emeritus Harold Ford
Professor Emeritus Harold Ford was one of Australia’s pre-eminent corporation lawyers. Ford studied law at the University of Melbourne as an articled clerk. After completing the Bachelor of Laws Course, he became a senior lecturer at the Law School in 1949. In 1960 he was appointed Robert Garran Professor of Law at the Australian National University and was Foundation Dean of the Faculty of Law. Ford returned to the University of Melbourne in 1962 as Professor of Commercial Law. He was Dean of the Faculty of Law in 1964, and again from 1967 to 1973. He retired in 1984. In 2011, Professor Emeritus Harold Ford made a donation to the University of Melbourne to establish a scholarship to memorialise his wife, Gwenda Ford.
What are the benefits?
Offers up to $6,600. One or more awards may be offered from this amount.
Recipients are required to:
- accept the award online within 21 days; and,
- submit a final report.
Get more on scholarships and other information to help you succeed at the University of Melbourne.
For complete listings of faculty-specific scholarships, please see individual faculty websites.
The information listed here is subject to change without notice. Where we have listed information about jointly run scholarships programs, please also see our partners' websites. Information describing the number and value of scholarships awarded is indicative.