Alexander von Humboldt Foundation: Humboldt Research Fellowships for Postdoctoral Researchers
The Humboldt Research Fellowships for Postdoctoral Researchers enable highly-qualified scientists and scholars who are embarking on their academic careers and who completed their doctorates less than four years ago to spend extended periods of research in Germany. Scientists and scholars from all disciplines and countries may apply and applications can be submitted at any time.
1 Jan 2023
Last day for applications
31 Dec 2023
Last day for applications
This is the last day on which applications will be accepted. Though conditions vary, we recommend submission by 5pm AEST to avoid disappointment.
How to apply
Full benefit details
Australian / domestic student
$25,000 - $105,000
Applicable study areas
All study areas
Number of scholarships awarded
At least 500, apply any time all year
What are the benefits?
The duration of the fellowship funding is from 6 to 24 months. The benefits of the fellowship include:
- A stipend of €2,670 per month plus research expenses and allowances is provided. Invitations to events and language courses can also be provided
- A lump sum for the fellow’s travel expenses if the costs are not borne by a third party
- Language fellowship for an intensive language course lasting two to four months at selected language institutes in Germany immediately prior to the actual period of research; language fellowships may also be granted to accompanying marital partners
- Family allowances for accompanying family members staying at least three months (monthly allowance: up to €346 for marital partners and up to €274 for each child)
- For single-parents: flat-rate allowance for accompanying children (under the age of 18) for stays of at least three months (€400 per month for the first child and €100 per month for every additional child)
- Additional extension of the fellowship up to 12 months for research fellows accompanied by children under the age of 12
- A subsidy towards research costs to be paid to the hosts in Germany amounting to €800 per month (for research in the natural sciences and engineering) and €500 (for research in the humanities and social sciences)
- A Europe allowance for a research stay at a research institute in another European country (though not the research fellow’s own country); for a designated period in the course of the fellowship if necessary to ensure the success of the research
- Extensive alumni sponsorship once a successful research stay has come to an end, especially for maintaining contacts with collaborative partners in Germany during the Humboldtian’s entire academic career
The information listed here is subject to change without notice. Where we have listed information about jointly run scholarships programs, please also see our partners' websites. Information describing the number and value of scholarships awarded is indicative.