Isobel Prowse Travelling Scholarship
This scholarship is to assist a student to participate in the Venice Overseas Intensive.
13 Feb 2023
Last day for applications
10 Apr 2023
Last day for applications
This is the last day on which applications will be accepted. Though conditions vary, we recommend submission by 5pm AEST to avoid disappointment.
Australian / domestic student
Applicable study areas
Historical, philosophical, political and social studies; Language, literature and cultural studies
Number of scholarships awarded
"To have financial support for this subject allows me to continue to invest the majority of my time into my studies, which are of great importance to me. This will be my first opportunity to study overseas and I know that studying in Venice will be enriching both academically and culturally."
- Sophie McHugh
Eligibility & selection criteria
To be eligible for this scholarship, you must:
- Fulfil the entry requirements for the Venice Overseas Intensive; and,
- be enrolled in either
- HIST20052 or HIST30051 Venice and Cultures of Consumption; or,
- ITAL20006 or ITAL30012 Languages of Venice: Study Abroad.
The scholarship will be awarded to the student who can best demonstrate and prove the following:
- exceptional achievement in the area of community engagement, with specific details of their involvement; and,
- exceptional knowledge of the Renaissance.
Complete the online application form and include the following details:
- a 300-500 word statement that demonstrates your passion for the Italian Renaissance and provides tangible evidence of your commitment to leadership and broad community engagement;
- budget outline;
- at least one academic reference;
- a current statement of results; and,
- any other information which may assist the committee in their decision.
Submit a scholarship application now
When will I know the outcome?
Applicants will be advised of the outcome via email.
About the donor
The Isobel Prowse Travelling Scholarship commemorates the late Isobel Prowse. Isobel studied Arts, Media and Communications and a Diploma of Modern Languages in Italian at The University of Melbourne. She was passionate about her studies and in particular all things Roman and Italian. She loved History and Literature, the Classical Roman, Medieval Italian and English canon, which she combined with her love of travel. She managed to visit Italy several times and studied there with fellow students from Melbourne and Monash. Isobel was 'at home' in Italy, exploring the land of her literary heroes Virgil and Dante. She was also a competent linguist, fluent in Italian and French, as well as being a writer of poetry. Isobel had a life-long series of medical challenges and passed away aged 24.
What are the benefits?
Up to $5,000.
This award is associated with the subjects HIST20052, HIST30051 Venice and Cultures of Consumption; and ITAL20006, ITAL30012 Languages of Venice: Study Abroad. Please see the Venice Overseas Intensive site for further information.
Recipients are required to:
- accept award online within 21 days;
- submit relevant travel documents; and,
- submit a final report.
Get more on scholarships and other information to help you succeed at the University of Melbourne.
For complete listings of faculty-specific scholarships, please see individual faculty websites.
The information listed here is subject to change without notice. Where we have listed information about jointly run scholarships programs, please also see our partners' websites. Information describing the number and value of scholarships awarded is indicative.