Melbourne Global Languages Scholarships
Each year a limited number of scholarships are awarded to high achieving undergraduate and graduate language students to support language-enriching study at overseas institutions. These scholarships are designed to assist with the costs of undertaking study programs of reasonable length (minimum 3 weeks), or semester/year-long exchanges.
1 Feb 2023
1 Apr 2023
Australian / domestic student
$1,500 - $8,000
Applicable study areas
Language, literature and cultural studies
Number of scholarships awarded
At least 1
Eligibility & selection criteria
To be eligible for this scholarship, you must:
- Be enrolled in a UoM degree or diploma during the scholarship application round.
- Graduate students must have completed 50 points in their enrolled course.
- Undergraduate students must have completed 100 points in their enrolled course (students must have completed 25 points of modern language study at UoM or through approved complementary language subjects at other institutions which are credit against the enrolled degree or diploma) before submitting their application.
- Be currently enrolled in a language subject as per their overseas study target language at the time of application.
- The target language to be studied must be a native language to the intended country of exchange or study abroad.
- The proposed overseas program of study must be equivalent to at least 12.5 points delivered in the target language and be credit bearing towards the currently enrolled UoM course.
- Overseas programs shorter than a semester in duration must be of an intensive delivery mode with a minimum of three weeks in duration.
- The overseas study program must be approved by the Faculty and University.
- The student must have achieved an H2B 70% average in the target language and overall WAM of 70% across their academic record, with no results below an H2B (70+) in the target language subjects.
- The student is ineligible for a Melbourne Global Languages Scholarship (MGLS) if they have previously been, or have currently been awarded either of the following:
- Melbourne Mobility Awards, and/or
- Melbourne Global Languages Scholarship (MGLS).
- The Scholarship cannot be deferred, students unable to travel in the period the scholarship is awarded should reapply again in a future round.
- Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Global student travel might be limited due to COVID-19 or other restrictions.
Mobility Award payments may be held until travel restrictions permit travel to the nominated destination country.
See: Study overseas
Exchange students please note: the application process for the Melbourne Global Languages Scholarship (MGLS) is separate from the exchange process.
Awards will be made only for courses that can be credited to a University of Melbourne degree or diploma. Students must obtain School and Faculty approval to credit their chosen overseas course to their degree. Please see a Discipline Advisor and Stop 1 to have your application form approved.
Upon return from study overseas you may be requested to provide a short reflection of your exchange to use on the SOLL website.
|Timelines||Round One||Round Two|
|Applications||Open: 1 February 2023|
Close: 1 April 2023
|Open: 19 June 2023|
Close: 11 September 2023
|Travel Period||May to October 2023||November 2023 to April 2024|
|Outcome Notification||by 29 April 2023||by 30 September 2023|
Download the guidelines for this scholarship
Submit a scholarships application
What are the benefits?
The funding value of the scholarships ranges from $1500 to $8000 for programs between 3 weeks and a year in duration, depending on the country of destination and/or the length of the proposed program of study. Intensive study programs will be taken into consideration.
Students are considered against the eligibility criteria by the Languages Scholarship Committee, and eligible applicants are awarded a Scholarship to an amount determined based on the duration of the course and the country of travel. Should the number of successful applicants outstrip the funding available, successful applicants will be rank ordered by WAM and scholarships will be awarded based on highest WAM until the funding runs out.
Get more on scholarships and other information to help you succeed at the University of Melbourne.
For complete listings of faculty-specific scholarships, please see individual faculty websites.
The information listed here is subject to change without notice. Where we have listed information about jointly run scholarships programs, please also see our partners' websites. Information describing the number and value of scholarships awarded is indicative.