The University of Melbourne offers a suite of scholarships and grants for current University of Melbourne students undertaking overseas study as part of their undergraduate or graduate coursework course. Some scholarships are awarded on academic merit and others to assist students who are experiencing disadvantaged circumstances.
10 May 2021
Last day for applications
31 Dec 2025
Last day for applications
This is the last day on which applications will be accepted. Though conditions vary, we recommend submission by 5pm AEST to avoid disappointment.
Australian / domestic student
Applicable study areas
All study areas
Number of scholarships awarded
Eligibility & selection criteria
To be eligible for this scholarship, you must:
- be enrolled at the University of Melbourne in either an undergraduate degree or a graduate coursework degree
- intend to study overseas for at least 3 weeks as part of a University of Melbourne semester or year-long program, a short-term program or a University of Melbourne Overseas Subject.
- apply for the Mobility Awards before completion of the overseas study program
- have not received a Mobility Award for overseas study that was part of your current course
- have not received a New Colombo Plan Grant for the same overseas program
The Melbourne Mobility Awards are awarded for the specific purpose of the scholarship.
Eligible applicants who are Chancellor's Scholars, Kwong Lee Dow Scholars, or Commerce Achievement Scholarship recipients will receive one Melbourne Global Scholars Award in their undergraduate degree.
Other merit awards are offered to eligible applicants based on academic achievement using the University's Weighted Average Mark (WAM). You must have results for subjects in your course at the time of application. Where the number of candidates exceeds the number of scholarships available, the scholarships will be awarded to students with the highest WAM.
Access scholarships are offered to eligible applicants based on demonstrated social, educational and financial disadvantage.
- You must receive permission and enrol in the your overseas study program for which you were offered the award
- If your overseas study program is postponed or cancelled by any party, after you have received the award payment, you must contact Stop 1 immediately. You may be required to return the payment.
- You must provide a Scholarship report, when requested, and give permission for the University to share the report, your name and course details to the donor of your mobility award.
- When you receive a mobility award, you will not be eligible for another award as part of your current degree.
- You agree to participate in any ambassadorship activities as requested by the University of Melbourne which include the University's Postcards from Abroad blog and other social media channels, events and student showcases.
You must submit an online Mobility Awards application form before you complete your overseas study. Please apply as soon as you receive your exchange destination allocation so that your application can be assessed in time for you to plan your finances.
If you wish to apply for a scholarship on the basis of financial disadvantage, personal difficulties or disability or medical condition, you will be asked to provide supporting documents such as a Centrelink statement or medical certificates as part of the online application.
In completing an application for a Mobility Award, you will be considered for all Mobility Awards for which you are eligible. You do not need to apply for individual awards.
Only complete applications will be considered.
Submit a scholarship application now
When will I know the outcome?
Scholarships are awarded on a monthly basis. You should receive an outcome by email within 6 weeks of submitting your completed Melbourne Mobility Award application form.
The Melbourne Mobility Awards are only paid after you have received approval from the University of Melbourne for credit for the overseas program and you are enrolled in University of Melbourne subject(s) for which the Scholarship was awarded. This will be exchange or study abroad placeholder subjects or a University of Melbourne overseas subject.
Variations of this award
Melbourne Global Scholars Award
This scholarship is available to high achieving students.
USA Foundation Travelling Scholarships
Established with a donation from the USA Education, Teaching and Training Foundation, these scholarships are available to students intending to undertake study in the United States of America.
Melbourne Global Financial Assistance Grant
This grant is available to students who are experiencing financial hardship.
John and Betty McCreery Travelling Scholarship
This scholarship was established with a donation from Mrs V.M. (Betty) McCreery and is available to students experiencing financial hardship who are enrolled in the Faculty of Science or the Melbourne Medical School.
University House Travel Scholarship
This scholarship was established with a donation from University House, the staff and alumni club of the University of Melbourne, and is available to undergraduate students experiencing financial hardship.
Aitchison Travelling Scholarship
This scholarship was established in 1994 with a bequest from David Aitchison and is available to undergraduate students experiencing financial hardship.
What are the benefits?
The Melbourne Global Scholars Award and USA Foundation Scholarship provides a one-off payment of:
- $1,000 for students undertaking overseas study for at least 3 weeks and up to 12 weeks, or
- $2,500 for students undertaking overseas study for 12 weeks or more
The Melbourne Global Financial Assistance Grant and John and Betty McCreery Travelling/ Study Scholarship provide a one-off payment of up to $5,000.
The University House Travel Scholarship and Aitchison Travelling Scholarship provide a one-off payment of up to $5,000.
Get more on scholarships and other information to help you succeed at the University of Melbourne.
For complete listings of faculty-specific scholarships, please see individual faculty websites.
The information listed here is subject to change without notice. Where we have listed information about jointly run scholarships programs, please also see our partners' websites. Information describing the number and value of scholarships awarded is indicative.