Ursula Hoff Art History Scholarship
This scholarship supports students currently enrolled in Honours, graduate coursework or graduate research in the area of Art History.
2 Jan 2023
8 Mar 2023
Australian / domestic student
Applicable study areas
Historical, philosophical, political and social studies; Language, literature and cultural studies
Number of scholarships awarded
"The support of the Ursula Hoff Scholarship was a great show of faith in my interdisciplinary and cross-institutional research in contemporary art practices in Australia and Palestine. With this financial support, I was confident in pursuing my research knowing I had the support of the Faculty."
- Suzannah Henty
Eligibility & selection criteria
To be eligible for this scholarship, you must:
- be currently enrolled in honours, graduate coursework or research studying Art History at the University of Melbourne;
- be in good academic standing; and,
- be experiencing financial disadvantage.
Preference is given to Art History students in the Faculty of Arts, University of Melbourne, and due consideration is given to financial need. The recipient/s will be determined after considering the applicants' scholarship statement, academic progress, proposed program of study, and access to other financial resources.
Eligible applicants must complete the online application form including:
- a 300-500 word statement outlining how the scholarship would impact your life and assist with your academic work including the importance of Art History to your studies;
- evidence of a complete and submitted University of Melbourne Student Financial Assessment form;
- at least one academic reference;
- a current academic record or statement of results; and,
- any other information to support your application that may assist the committee in making its decision.
When will I know the outcome?
Applicants will be advised of the outcome via email.
About the donor
Chevalier Graham Ryles OAM KSJ and Mrs Judith Ryles OAM
The Ursula Hoff Art History Scholarship was established in 2010 by Chevalier Graham Ryles OAM KSJ and Mrs Judith Ryles OAM to honour the late Dr Ursula Hoff AO OBE. Dr Hoff’s illustrious career encompassed art history, curatorship and museum management at the University and the National Gallery of Victoria. This annual scholarship is open to Art History students for activities that will assist them to be dynamic contributors to the field of Art History in Australia, and beyond.
What are the benefits?
Offers up to $3,000. One or more awards are offered from these funds.
Recipients are required to:
- accept the award online within 21 days; and,
- submit a final report.
Get more on scholarships and other information to help you succeed at the University of Melbourne.
For complete listings of faculty-specific scholarships, please see individual faculty websites.
The information listed here is subject to change without notice. Where we have listed information about jointly run scholarships programs, please also see our partners' websites. Information describing the number and value of scholarships awarded is indicative.